Monday 18 May 2009

Week 19, 18/5/09 - Monday

Time of day: 07:20
Distance: 4 miles
Time: 45:07
Weather: Sunny

I was quite apprehensive about how my knee was going to be on this run. Strangely, even though I have rested it for 4 days I have become hyper-aware of every little twinge.

I set off really slowly. At first I was aware that both of my knees were hurting, nothing really bad, they just felt stiff really. Then, about a mile into the run the outer aspect of my knee started to bother me. It was really hard to work out whether I was just making a big issue out of something minor or whether it really was something to worry about.

I kept running, slowing down a bit if it seemed to be painful. Then at about 2 miles it became quite a sharp pain. "Oh no!" I stopped and walked for about a minute, trying to think about what was the best course of action. I started running slowly again, planning to stop and walk as and when I needed to.

That seemed to be just enough to sort me out though, I ran the rest of the way home. It wasn't pain free, but the pain did lessen as time went on.

I decided to go and see the osteopath again, as I have had a number of niggles and twinges since doing my 20 mile run and wonder whether I've just sent myself a bit off balance. I went this afternoon and waved goodbye to another £40! Who said running was a cheap sport.

I am planning on doing a 6-7 mile run on Wednesday.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, how did it go with the osteopath? I have also been having problems since my 20mile run, I was at a physio this morning (Tues), who has given me the ok to at least try and run the marathon. It turns out, I've not been stretching enough and running in a worn out pair of shoes has all contributed to my injury. I hope all goes well on your training session tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete